What is Great Expectations?
Great Expectations provides academic support and guidance to current and future students who are in, or recently aged out of, the foster care system.
What are the benefits of participating in Great Expectations?
- Get advice and guidance on academic programs, college coursework, and career planning from designated academic advisors and program staff
- Get insights on student life and campus activities from peer mentors
- Network with other Great Expectations students
Who is eligible?
Students are eligible if they:
- Are 17 – 24 years old and currently in, or recently aged out of, the foster care system,
- Maintain regular contact with an independent living coordinator, social worker, or case manager at their local Department of Social Services,
- Completed the academic admission process for the college, including filing financial aid forms, taking placement tests, and registering for classes, and
- Are (or will be) enrolled full time (12 credits or more) or part-time (less than 12 credits) at the college.
Students who are ineligible for Great Expectations during their first semester at the college can become eligible in subsequent semesters if they meet the eligibility requirements.
How to enroll in Great Expectations:
- Submit a signed consent form to the Great Expectations program director. Consent forms will be provided by the independent living coordinators or case managers.
- Sign a Great Expectations Academic Contract and submit it to the Great Expectations program director. A copy of the academic contract is attached.
Information Sheet: https://bit.ly/2NRmFhE
Participation Commitment Form: https://bit.ly/30HQUNg
Release of Information Authorization Form: http://tiny.cc/opu1iz
Image Release Form: http://tiny.cc/eru1iz
VCCS Great Expectations Program: http://greatexpectations.vccs.edu/