Programs: General Welding (221-995-01)
Award: Career Studies Certificates
This training program starts with hands-on welding classes, and the majority of classroom experience is through interactive workshop courses. It’s an exciting training program that will prepare you to jump-start your welding career in as little as seven months.
What will I learn?
- Each student will learn industry safety, tape measurements, basic math, operate basic hand tools, operate all shop machinery, blueprint reading, basic welding principles and cutting procedures.
- Weld processes in Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), Gas Metal Arc Welding(GMAW), Flux Core Arc Welding (FCAW), and Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW).
- Out of position welding
- Fit, prep, and welding Plate
What qualifications can I receive in this program?
Welding Students are encouraged to take their qualification weld tests. Below is a list of AWS (American Welding Society) qualifications each student can earn while in the General Welding Program.
- Steel SMAW All Position Plate, Limited – AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- Steel FCAW All Position Plate, Limited – AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- Steel GTAW 3G Plate, Limited – AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- Steel GMAW-S 2G Plate, Limited – AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- Steel SMAW Tack Welder Qualification – AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- AWS SENSE Level 1 Entry Welder- AWS QC10 and AWS EG2.0
How long will I need to be in College?
Students can complete this program in just two semesters
What job or career can I get with a General Welding CSC ?
Upon completion each student will process the skills necessary for entry-level positions into structural and commercial welding industry.
All students that successfully complete the General Welding Program with a 3.0 GPA or higher will qualify for a paid apprenticeship with RepairTech LLC.
How much can I earn with a Gerenal Welding CSC ?
Below are the 2020 hourly wages for careers in the Welding Industry within the Hampton roads workforce region.
What is the job outlook for graduates from this program?
As of the fourth quarter of 2021, total employment in the Hampton Roads Workforce Region for Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers was 2,308. There is projected annual demand/need for 202 new entrants into this occupation (Source: Jobs EQ Occupation Report Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers, April 2022).
How much can I earn with this career studies certificate?
Below are the 2021 wages for careers, within the Hampton Roads Workforce Region, that are related to this field.
Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers
(Source: Jobs EQ Occupation Report Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers, April 2022)
Want to know more? Check out the program map and program requirements in the College Catalog.